Racing Queensland has released its 2017/18 race dates schedule which feature a new country racing series for Thoroughbreds, the Greyhound Nationals series and the newly anointed Grand Circuit race in Harness with the Blacks a Fake.
Racing Queensland CEO Eliot Forbes said this year’s calendar aims to provide a solid platform for wagering, so that returns can flow to Queensland racing industry participants.
“We have an exciting racing schedule for wagering customers to enjoy in 2017/18 across all codes with highlights in metropolitan, country and regional areas.”
In total, the 2017/18 racing schedule includes 781 thoroughbred race meetings, 282 harness meetings and 581 greyhound race meetings.
“Country racing continues to be a key highlight of racing in Queensland and in 2017/18 there will be 13 previously non-TAB race days that have been awarded TAB status, including six at the Cairns Jockey Club, two at the Lockyer Race Club and one each at Dalby, Kilcoy, Roma and Warwick.”
“As a further enhancement for country racing we are pleased to announce the inaugural Country Racing Series for season 2017/18, a regional state-wide showcase of country racing.”
The initial three series are:
- Roads to Roma;
- Outback Showcase;
- Race to the Reef
The first of the new series, Roads to Roma starts on the 1st of July this year and concludes four weeks later. The Outback Showcase begins in April 2018 in Julia Creek and Race to the Reef begins in May 2018.
The new series includes 18 country and regional racing clubs, each benefitting from the additional prize money of $69,000 and an enhanced profile. The series will wrap-up by the end of July next year.
The 2017/18 Racing Calendar individual code highlights include:
- 30 December 2017 – Vo Rogue Plate (G3) BJ McLachlan (G3) Bernborough Hcp(LR)
- 13 January 2018– Magic Millions Race Day
- 12 May 2018 – Doomben 10,000 (G1) Champagne Classic (G2)
- 19 May 2018 – Doomben Cup (G1) The Roses (G2)
- 26 May 2018 – Kingsford-Smith Cup (G1) Sires Produce(G2)
- 2 June 2018 – Queensland Oaks(G1) Moreton Cup(G2) PJ O’Shea(G2)
- 9 June 2018 – Stradbroke Handicap (G1) Queensland Derby (G1) JJ Atkins (G1)
- 1 July 2017 Premiers Cup (G3), 4YO Championship (G3)
- 8 July 2017 Queensland Oaks (G2), Sunshine Sprint (G2),
- 15 July 2017 The Blacks A Fake (G1, Grand Circuit), QLD Derby (G2), QBRED Triad 2YO Finals (G1)
- 16 December 2017 Queensland Cup (G2), Darrell Alexander Memorial Trotting Championship Final (G2)
- 12 May 2018 QBRED Showcase night, QBRED Triad Finals 3YO’s (G2)
- 1 June 2018 Redcliffe Yearling Sales Series 10 2YO Final (G1), Redcliffe Derby
- 8 June 2018 Redcliffe Cup (G3), Redcliffe Oaks
A key highlight will be the Blacks A Fake night, which has again achieved Grand Circuit Status, joining an elite group of race events from Australia and New Zealand. The schedule also includes 6 dual code meetings between Kilcoy and Gympie, and an additional Non-TAB fixture at Marburg for the running of a Junior Drivers Series.
- 6 July 2017 –Winter Cup Final (G1)
- 25 August 2017 –Nationals Sprint Final, (G1) Nationals Distance Final (G1)
- 25 November 2017 – Ipswich Cup Final (G3)
- 7 December 2017 –Brisbane Cup Final (G1)
- 24 February 2018 – Vince Curry Memorial Final Ipswich (G3)
- 14 June 2018 – Gold Cup Final (G1), Flying Amy Classic (G3)
- 21 June 2018 –Superstayers (G3)
Albion Park will host the National Sprint Final (G1) and National Distance Final (G1) on 25 August 2017 for the first time since 2011. The sprint and distance finals will showcase the best greyhound talent from each state across Australia.
A Country Cup has been added to the program for the Queensland Cup (G3) meeting on 25 January 2018.
Thoroughbred Schedule Harness Schedule Greyhound Schedule