About the training at Racing Queensland
Racing Queensland is the first contact point for all inquiries about racing industry careers, training, traineeships and apprenticeships. As a registered training organisation we offer nationally recognised training with funding assistance from the Department of Education and Training. Training programs are run at Deagon as well as at selected tracks and schools around the state. All programs delivered are from qualifications in National Training Packages.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (07) 3869 9781.
The Racing Queensland Industry Training Centre was established in 1995 to meet the training needs of the three codes of the Queensland Racing Industry. In July 2000, Deagon racetrack and the training centre was transferred to the industry and Queensland Race Training (QRT) was formed. In July 2004 Queensland Racing took over direct responsibility for the delivery of training in the thoroughbred code and became a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). As a Pre-qualified Supplier under the User Choice 2010 - 2015 program, Racing Queensland is required to publish audit information in relation to it's compliance with the Australian Skills Quality Authority as the National VET regulator.
Racing Queensland currently offers nationally recognised training for the following occupations through traineeship and apprenticeship arrangements:
- Track work rider/driver
- Stable foreman
Who can apply?
If you are 15 years of age or over and seeking employment in the Queensland Racing Industry, you can become a trainee Stablehand or Trackrider. No previous horse experience is necessary.
- This is a special opportunity to start an exciting, challenging and interesting new career.
- Racing is an international industry with employment world wide, and it presents the opportunity to travel extensively.
- Former graduates have been employed in around Australia, Ireland, America, Dubai, Singapore, New Zealand and Japan.
- It is a growth industry that includes the world of racing, breeding and training thoroughbreds and stablehands
Racing Queensland's Training Department currently provides training to trainees and apprentices in the racing industry.
Training is available from the following qualifications:
- RGR20108 Certificate II in Racing (Stablehand)
- RGR30208 Certificate III in Racing (Advanced Stablehand)
- RGR30108 Certificate III in Racing (Trackrider)
- RGR40208 Certificate IV in Racing (Jockey)
MA00008 Horse and Greyhound Training Award 2010