2019 TAB QUEENSLAND THOROUGHBRED AWARDS - A NIGHT TO REMEMBER!
Racing Queensland's premier gala evening, celebrated the Stars of the Queensland Thoroughbred Industry and our rising apprentices for the 2018-19 season.
The night saw 30 Awards of distinction that were presented to Queensland's outstanding achievers including Horse of the Year, Trainer of the Year and Jockey of the Year.
The Garry Newham-trained Winning Ways was crowned Horse of the Year at the TAB Queensland Thoroughbred Awards in Brisbane.
As Queensland’s sole Group 1 winner in 2018/19, Winning Ways was also named the Three-Year-Old Horse of the Year.
During the voting period, Winning Ways prevailed in the Group 1 Queensland Oaks and the Group 3 Gold Coast Bracelet to be the Sunshine State’s flagbearer during the recent Winter Racing Carnival.
In the Trainer of the Year Award, Tony Gollan prevailed for a sixth occasion, adding it to his Metropolitan Premiership win.
Having steered The Bostonian to Group 1 success in the Doomben 10,000 and the Kingsford-Smith, Michael Cahill was named Jockey of the Year.
The night also allowed Racing Queensland to induct five new members into the Hall of Fame with Bore Head, one of the state’s premier stayers who won the 1963 Queensland Cup, 1965 Caulfield Cup, the 1967 Australian Cup and the 1967 Doomben Cup, being acknowledged for his incredible accomplishments.
Fresh off his record-equalling 11th Hong Kong Premiership win, John Size was inducted as a Hall of Fame trainer, while Noel Best, who announced himself as a force to reckoned with at just 16 when he piloted Murray Stream to victory in the Doomben 10,000, was acknowledged for his feats in the saddle.
The voice of the Darling Downs, experienced broadcaster Pat O’Shea, was inducted as an associate, as was former Tattersall’s Club President, Sir Albert Sakzewski.
“Winning Ways was the standout thoroughbred performance over the season,” RQ CEO Brendan Parnell.
“She’s developed into a very nice mare, but she had to fight off three legitimate contenders in Tyzone, Winter Bride and Zoustyle.
“Tony Gollan has been a consistent force in our training ranks and thoroughly deserves his sixth Trainer of the Year Award, while Michael Cahill enjoyed an outstanding Winter Carnival and year as a whole.
“It was also a huge thrill to be able to acknowledge our Hall of Fame inductees, including Pat O’Shea, who served as an early mentor of mine.”
While edged out for the night’s top gong, Tyzone, who won the Listed Goldmarket Handicap and the Group 3 BRC Sprint for Toby Edmonds – as well as finishing second in the Stradbroke Handicap – was named the Four Years and Older Horse of the Year.
The Kelly Schweida-trained The Odyssey was awarded the Two-Year-Old Horse of the Year after winning four of seven starts including the $500,000 2YO Jewel at the Gold Coast, whilst placing a further two times.
Other award winners on the night included Baylee Nothdurft securing the Ken Russell Queensland Apprentice of the Year – and the Metropolitan Apprentice of the Year – while Bevan Johnson enjoyed a double of his own as he and Fab's Cowboy were acknowledged as the Country Trainer and Horse of the Year respectively.
RQ also took the opportunity to acknowledge retiring jockey, Jeff Lloyd, who won his fourth consecutive Metropolitan Premiership, and in the process, called time on an incredible riding career which spawned more than 5000 winners including 94 at Group 1 level.
2019 TAB QUEENSLAND THOROUGHBRED AWARDS WINNERS
- TAB Queensland Thoroughbred Horse of the Year – Winning Ways (Garry Newham)
- Magic Millions Queensland Trainer of the Year – Tony Gollan
- Garrard’s Horse and Hound Queensland Jockey of the Year – Michael Cahill
- Sky Racing Ken Russell Queensland Apprentice of the Year – Baylee Nothdurft
- HQ Insurance Metropolitan Trainers’ Premiership – Tony Gollan
- Magic Millions Insurance Brokers Metropolitan Jockeys’ Premiership – Jeff Lloyd
- Screen Offset Printing Metropolitan Apprentice of the Year – Baylee Nothdurft
- QTIS Provincial Apprentice of the Year – Adin Thompson
- Queensland Jockeys’ Association Country Apprentice of the Year – Emma Bell
- MEGT Student of the Year – Hannah Phillips
- QRIC Stewards Award – Michael Cahill
- QTIS Horse of the Year – sponsored by Spirit of Boom – Hold The Line (David Vandyke)
- Zero Seven Queensland 2YO Horse of the Year – The Odyssey (Kelly Schweida)
- QROA Queensland 3YO Horse of the Year – Winning Ways (Garry Newham)
- Access Insulation Queensland 4YO and Older Horse of the Year – Tyzone (Toby Edmonds)
- KBL Thoroughbreds Provincial Horse of the Year – Mr Attitude (Ricky Vale)
- Ardex Essentials Provincial Trainer of the Year – Stuart Kendrick
- Ipswich Turf Club Provincial Premiership Jockey – Justin Stanley
- RaceQ Country Premiership Horse of the Year – Fab’s Cowboy (Bevan Johnson)
- Ladies in Racing Magazine Country Premiership Trainer – Bevan Johnson
- Munce Racing Country Premiership Jockey – Dan Ballard
- TBQA Queensland Stallion of the Year – Spirit of Boom
- TBQA Champion First Season Stallion – Better Than Ready
- TBQA Champion 2YO Stallion – Better Than Ready
- TBQA Broodmare of the Year – She’s Meaner
- Hall of Fame (Horse) Sponsored by Commotion Creative – Bore Head
- Hall of Fame (Jockey) Sponsored by Medical Rescue – Noel Best
- Hall of Fame (Trainer) Sponsored by Brisbane Racing Club – John Size
- Hall of Fame (Associate) Sponsored by Tattersall’s Racing Club – Sir Albert Sakzewski
- Hall of Fame (Associate) Sponsored by Pullman Brisbane Airport Hotel – Pat O’Shea
2019 TAB QUEENSLAND THOROUGHBRED AWARDS WINNERS - PHOTO ALBUM