What is an Alternative Racing Event?
An Alternative Racing Event is any event that is conducted on a racetrack at a venue that is licensed by Racing Queensland (RQ) for thoroughbred, harness or greyhound codes of racing. For example, Arabian horse races and Camel races are Alternate Racing Events.
The following events are not Alternative Racing Events provided that the events are not conducted on, or may have a detrimental impact to the Club’s racetrack:
- birthday parties, weddings and functions;
- carnivals, festivals, displays and shows;
- community markets;
- exhibitions, competitions and social gatherings; and
- novelty events (for example, jumping castles),
Application process for Alternative Racing Events
RQ has developed this process to ensure that:
- Clubs’ facilities are preserved for race meetings for the thoroughbred, harness or greyhound codes of racing; and
- Clubs and RQ have appropriate insurance coverage for the Alternative Racing Event.
Clubs must apply to RQ to hold an Alternative Racing Event by completing the application form in Race Cube.
Insurance coverage for Alternative Racing Events
The public liability insurance arranged by RQ on behalf of RQ and clubs may not cover the Alternative Racing Event. RQ will make enquiries with its insurer in this regard.
If the public liability insurance does not cover the Alternative Racing Event, the Club must take out additional public liability insurance in respect of the Club’s venue and the Alternative Racing Event which;
- has a limit of indemnity of not less than $20,000,000 per occurrence and unlimited in the aggregate;
- provides a notation that confirms an indemnity for the Club for claims arising from participation in equine activities; and
- that provides a principal’s indemnity or interested party notation that names the Club and “the Racing Queensland Board (trading as Racing Queensland)”.
Steps for approval of Alternative Racing Events
RQ has regard for the potential risk of loss, damage or injury associated with Alternative Racing Events. To mitigate this risk, RQ has developed two agreements to protect Clubs and RQ against all claims and losses that may arise in connection with Alternative Racing Events:
- Deed for an Alternative Racing Event to be entered into by RQ and the Club (the Club Deed); and
- Club Event Agreement to be entered into by the Club and the Event Organiser (the Event Agreement).
RQ will not object to a Club holding an Alternative Racing Event subject to the Club complying with the following requirements:
Step 1 – Review and execute the Club Deed
The Club must review the Club Deed and if the Club is satisfied with the terms of the Club Deed, arrange for the Club Deed to be executed and returned to RQ.
Step 2 – Comply with the Club Deed
The Club must comply with the terms of the Club Deed including providing full particulars of the Alternative Racing Event to RQ and taking out and maintaining any insurance policies required by RQ.
Step 3 – Review and execute the Event Agreement
The Club must:
- review the Event Agreement and if the Club is satisfied with the terms of the Event Agreement, arrange for the Event Agreement to be executed by the Club and the Event Organiser; and
- provide a copy of the fully executed Event Agreement to RQ.
Step 4 – Provide a copy of the Event Organiser’s insurance
The Club must provide RQ with copies of the certificate of currency and policy wording for the Event Organiser’s public liability insurance policy. The public liability insurance policy must:
- be in respect of the Club’s venue and the Alternative Racing Event;
- have a limit of indemnity of not less than $20,000,000 per occurrence and unlimited in the aggregate;
- provide a notation that confirms an indemnity for the Event Organiser for claims arising from participation in equine activities; and
- provide a principal’s indemnity or interested party notation that names the Club and “the Racing Queensland Board (trading as Racing Queensland)”.
Please contact Club Licensing on (07) 3869 9424 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you require any further information