Queensland’s greyhound industry has joined forces with the Mark Hughes Foundation (MHF) to fight brain cancer on UBET Origin Greyhound Night, with the ‘Blue Dog For Brain Cancer’ initiative.
Racing Queensland and Brisbane Greyhound Racing Club will donate $1000 to MHF whenever the Number 4 (blue) greyhound wins a race on UBET Origin Greyhound night at Albion Park on July 12.
Punters on course at Albion Park will also be able to help raise funds by purchasing a ‘Beanie for Brain Cancer’ for $20, when Queensland takes on New South Wales in a best of three series.
Brisgreys CEO Luke Gatehouse said he was shocked to learn that brain cancer survival rates had only improved by one per-cent in 30 years.
“Brain cancer is an insidious disease that takes far too many lives in Australia each year,” he said.
“With former rugby league legends Terry Hill and Chris Walker acting as ambassadors for the series, we thought it was fitting for the industry to get behind a fellow league legend in his quest to raise money for research and awareness.”
The Mark Hughes Foundation is a charity formed by premiership-winning rugby league player Mark Hughes and his wife Kirralee. Mark was diagnosed with brain cancer in 2014 and continues to undergo regular testing.
His mission is to raise much-needed funds for research, to create awareness and, support brain cancer patients and their families, and said he had been overwhelmed by the support of Queenslanders through the Beanie for Brain Cancer campaign.
“I would like to thank Racing Queensland and the Brisbane Greyhound Racing Club for helping to continue our fight against brain cancer,” he said.
“There are so many Australian families, including mine, that need answers and we are putting our hands up together to say the statistics and funding for brain cancer aren’t good enough.”
The UBET Greyhound Origin Series will bring together nine of the best greyhounds from both Queensland and New South Wales for a $120,000 best of three series on one night.
The series was made possible thanks to UBET’s generous $600,000 sponsorship of the 2018 Queensland Winter Racing Carnival, which allowed Racing Queensland to offer a number of bonus prize money initiatives across all three racing codes.
Remaining Key Carnival Dates @ Brisbane Greyhound Racing Club
July 5 - $150,000 Winter Cup Final (Group 1), $12,000 Chairman’s Cup
July 12 - $120,000 UBET Origin Greyhound night featuring:
- $50,000 UBET Origin Sprint (520m)
- $50,000 UBET Origin Distance (710m)
- $20,000 UBET Origin Match Race (520m)
August 9 - $20,000 QLD National Sprint Final (520m), $20,000 QLD National Distance Final (710m).
Queensland UBET Origin Squad
- All About Tiger, Big Bad Bob, Brandi Alexander, Bubble Guppy, Casanova Joe, Champagne Sally, Corykodi, Cosmo Bill, Cyn’s Magic, Del Rey, Donny’s Beach, Gelantipy Gold, Go Lassie Go, Hara’s Honey, Infrared Star, It’s Dyllan, Jalapeno, Jury, Magic Hornet, Maurice Minor, Rockford, Shoes To Fill, Slick, Snug, Wise Misty, Gunnadoo Rev, Double Gee, Codrington Kid. Celebrity Coach: Chris Walker
New South Wales UBET Origin Squad
- Aston Duke, Beast Unleashed, Catch Me Curly, Cosmic Bonus, Drink Schooners, Ebby Ripper, Ella Enchanted, Irinka Leanne, Joyce Rumble, Little Digger, Lochinvar Hugo, Miss Splendamiro, Miss Wing Wong, Mister Beluchi, Mr. Shire, Rev Fred Sloy, Ritza Lenny, Ritza Millie, Rohan Hill, Sherbini, Simon Keeping, Sky Wave, Tahlia’s Way, Two Times Twice, Zipping Mitsy. Celebrity Coach: Terry Hill