Nominations for the new $2.25 million Future Champions Series have been released today, with a total of 1826 colts, geldings and fillies from across Australia being put forward.
Headlining the list is one of the nation’s premier trainers, Chris Waller, with 122 of his young gallopers nominated for the series.
The Ciaron Maher and David Eustace stable have 113 nominations, while Gai Waterhouse and Adrian Bott also boast 100 runners.
Queensland-based trainers Tony Gollan and Toby and Trent Edmonds also feature heavily, aiming to keep the prize money in their home state.
The Gollan stable have put forward 63 runners, while the father-and-son Edmonds team have submitted nominations for 46 horses.
Staged at the Brisbane Racing Club, the Future Champions Series for two-year-olds will include:
• $250,000 Group 2 Champagne Stakes (1200m), Doomben, May 9;
• $1 million Group 2 Sires’ Stakes (1400m), Eagle Farm, May 23; and
• $1 million Group 1 JJ Atkins (1600m), Eagle Farm, June 6.
This is first time that the established two-year-old races have been joined as a series that recognises the history of Brisbane’s juvenile features.
The three races that now make up the new series have launched the careers of some of Australia’s great modern horses, with the honour roll including The Autumn Sun, Zoustar, Brazen Beau and Press Statement.
Click here for the Future Champions Series nominations (full list) as at Christmas Eve.
Key acceptance dates for the Future Champions Series:
- Tuesday, January 21, 2020 (2PM) - $495
- Tuesday, April 28, 2020 (2PM) - $660
- Wednesday, May 6, 2020 (9AM) – Nil (Champagne Stakes);
- Wednesday, May 20, 2020 (9AM) – $5,500 (Sires’ Stakes); andWednesday, June 3, 2020 (9AM) – $5,500 (JJ Atkins).
Final Late Nomination & Acceptances
- Wednesday, May 6, 2020 (9AM) – $2,200 (Champagne Stakes);
- Wednesday, May 20, 2020 (9AM) – $44,000 (Sires’ Stakes); and
- Wednesday, June 3, 2020 (9AM) – $44,000 (JJ Atkins).